Benefits of a Code of Ethics
A code of ethics developed from the basic principles of
Mensa's Constitution would be acceptable whether defended from altruistic
or self-improvement motives.
1. To be a socially responsible organisation
2. To provide Employees and Official with guidelines
3. To establish a better corporate culture
4. To improve Mensa's public image
5. To improve management
6. To minimize the risk of white collar crime
Whilst the development of a Business Code of Ethics is a highly skilled
and specialised task, implementation of conflict-avoiding ethical procedures
can often be achieved by calling on the experience and free assistance
of bodies such as the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations. External
standards, of themselves, tend to reduce friction from internal factions.
Excerpted from "A Question of Ethics" by Chris Docker,
published in British Mensa Magazine, October 1996.